Cascadia Catholics

A left-leaning Catholic discussion forum.

Monday, July 09, 2007

The Return of the Latin Mass

I have always loved the Mass. As a child, I remember attending the Latin Mass, and I was fortunate, for many years, to be able to enjoy the Dominican Rite (Latin) Mass at my church in Seattle. But as the priests who knew the Latin Mass aged, and with younger priests who did not know the Latin Mass replacing them, the practice drew to a sad end.


This ending divided us, certainly; as it divided the Church. Traditionalists went one way, overly-enthusiastic progressives went another; both, at times, to extremes, I think.

So on Saturday, 7/7/7, Pope Benedict XVI issued his statement on allowing the use of the Tridentine Mass, in SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM.

Honestly, I welcome the return of the Tridentine Mass, the Mass said in Latin. Once in a while, I enjoy it. What I do not welcome are the old divisions and the re-opened wounds. The side taking. The trench digging. Aren't we polarized enough?

Let's hope and pray that this will bring back unity, as I believe this is the Holy Father's intention. Let us not refreseh those old arguments: That Vatican II was the work of the devil. Or that the mass in the vernacular is illegitimate. Or that all that Latin is so much Hocus Pocus (hoc est corpus meum!).

My greatest fear is that this signals the beginning of a Restoration mindset; and a return to Pre-Vatican II thinking. I see it already in young people, priests and laity. They romanticize an ideal, but don't recall the reality. It wasn't always so pretty.

Anyway, here's a USA Today link: USA TODAY: Latin Mass

Or, if you prefer something less annoying: Zenit Article

It's all still quite an interesting ride, I dare say.

3 Comments:

At 7/09/2007 5:19 PM, Blogger Garpu said...

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand I do worry about the restoration mindset like you mentioned (although I think we've got it lucky at our parish WRT to that.) On the other hand, liturgy isn't all about our preferences. I really despise the music at the 5:45 Mass, but that's where I'm needed, so...

I think people will lose interest once they learn that the Church is comprised of imperfect humans, and that the same problems in the ordinary liturgy exist in the extraordinary one. It would be interesting if people let the tridentine liturgy evolve, though. (I'd jump at the chance to serve at one, so long as I don't have to wear a chapel veil.) Didn't do much for me the one time I was at one, but to each his/her own...

 
At 7/09/2007 7:31 PM, Blogger Alyosha said...

Do you think you'd even be allowed to serve at one? Does the Tridentine Mass forbid women in the sanctuary? You know the answer to that! Forget the chapel veil, we got other problems! :)

The restoration mindset is alive and well here, I dare say. It's just nibbling underground for a time.

 
At 7/09/2007 8:00 PM, Blogger Garpu said...

Well that's just it...I thought that the letter (granted I've only read it once) allowed for changes in it, that it wasn't a "fly in amber," so to speak.

Trying to think positive thoughts, here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home