Cascadia Catholics

A left-leaning Catholic discussion forum.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Panhandling Downtown

Apologies if people have heard this program before, but I've been out of town and am catching up on my podcasts. KUOW's "The Conversation" had a program a few weeks ago on curbing panhandling downtown. You can hear it at this link. I found it interesting that they tried to verify that incidents of aggressive panhandling were on the rise with the Seattle police, and the Seattle police were unable to verify that claim. Woo seemed rather patronizing, to me. A few other callers did mention that there are charities which will take donations to help the homeless, but none were specifically mentioned.

2 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 10:58 AM, Blogger Alyosha said...

I always liked the idea of thoese "voucher" coupons. People can use the coupons to purchase food or other necessitites, but not booze, cigs, etc. One can puchase a booklet of these coupons, and give them to pan handlers. It's a bit condescending, I suppose, but it does overcome the problem of "I want to help this person, not hurt them!"

 
At 1/19/2007 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are a good idea...but I can see a lot of local merchants not accepting them in some way to get rid of panhandlers, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home