Cascadia Catholics

A left-leaning Catholic discussion forum.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

War Weary Wednesdays

Do you pray for peace in Iraq?

One of our parishioners, from the Peace and Justice Committee at Blessed Sacrament in Seattle, suggested we begin a prayer ministry specifically for that purpose. We call it the War Weary Wednesday prayer group, since we meet after the 5:30 PM Mass each Wednesday, beside the shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

Generally, there's a group of about 12 people, half circled around the shrine, praying traditional prayers, contemporary prayers, inspired prayers; speaking to God, to one another, to Our Lady. We also include a litany of names of our fallen soldiers and Iraqis who have died. Lists are easily found on-line. We pray for them, their families and our countries. It's very moving.

I invite you all to join us at 6:00 PM on Wednesdays, or begin your own peace-prayer ministry, or perhaps just share in the moment wherever you are, to offer up a war weary prayer.

3 Comments:

At 7/25/2007 7:31 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Well, I just might join you some Wednesday.

I happened to see Garpu the Fork commenting in a bloy by Crystal, whose blog I check regularly. Learned that there's a Seattle connection.

It won't be this next week because I'll be out of town, but I'll catch you sometime.

I like the things you post. If you wouldn't mind sometime, I'd love some tips for my own blog. I'm sort of feeling my way, and wouldn't mind some suggestions.

 
At 7/26/2007 9:51 AM, Blogger Alyosha said...

Hi Deacon D.,

Welcome to Cascadia Catholics! It'll be great to see you at our War Weary prayer group gathering some time. I haven't been making it very often, unfortunately, due to family issues. But I'm hoping to get that under control.

I'm not sure how much help I can be on the blog thing. I've been doing this for about a year, and figure there are maybe six readers! If that. I just like to play with it. Come what may!

You can write me at: nbutorac@yahoo.com

 
At 7/27/2007 11:21 AM, Blogger Garpu said...

Hihi! The War Weary Wednesdays is really nice, but I haven't been able to go the past few weeks. I think most of the people who hang out on this blog are Seattleites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home