Cascadia Catholics

A left-leaning Catholic discussion forum.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Subsisting In... Part II

I was a bit ribald in my dealings with the Vatican's latest statement on the "Church Founded by Christ" - given the Simpsons video and all. [But hey, it was pretty funny!]

Still, on a more serious note, I was pleased and proud to read a very fine comment on the Vatican document by our own Fr. Bernhard Blankenhorn, O.P., at Blessed Sacrament in Seattle. I'm linking to it to share with you all:

Link Here

Many Protestant friends have been asking me about this, and I've been having trouble trying to express my own understanding of the document. Maybe it's the same for you? If so, I hope this helps.

God knows, the media sure made a mess of it.

2 Comments:

At 7/23/2007 5:23 PM, Blogger Garpu said...

He did a really great job in his homily from the other week, too. I think if it comes up between my in-laws-to-be and I, I'll send them to the mp3.

I wonder if we aren't better off if we don't pay close attention to every little thing that comes out of Rome. Some things like the CDF document weren't meant for mass consumption. Although in a weird way I wonder if it did more for dialogue, since it's gotten people discussing things more than they would normally.

And as to the Simpsons, sometimes I think the only good way to disarm a crisis is with humor, especially if it pokes fun of everyone involved.

 
At 7/24/2007 1:44 PM, Blogger Alyosha said...

The Simpsons are always pretty even-handed.

If anyone is interested, here is the .mp3 link to Fr. Bernhard's homily on the Church and Our Protestant Bretheren:

http://www.datsoc.com/audio_files/071607.mp3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home